Obstetrics and Gynecology (OB/GYN)
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology offers services in general obstetrics and gynecology, gynecologic oncology, maternal-fetal medicine (high-risk obstetrics), fetal therapy, diagnostic ultrasound and urogynecology.
Our physicians specialize in treatment and management of:
- Abnormal bleeding and menstrual disorders
- Uterine fibroids and endometriosis
- Menopausal symptoms
- Cervical dysplasia and abnormal Pap smears
Other services include:
- Minimally invasive and robotic surgery for benign conditions
- Welll-woman exams
- Adolescent and pediatric gynecology
- HPV vaccine
- Treatment of vaginal infections and sexually transmitted diseases
- Management of miscarriage
- Management of unintended pregnancies
- Consultation and comprehensive management of gynecologic cancer (cervical, ovarian, etc.)
- Management of abnormal Pap smears and other diagnostic exams
- Chemotherapy and radiotherapy
- Minimally invasive and robotic surgery
We also offer patients access to one of the only certified genetic counselors specializing in cancer genetics in South Florida. Our genetic counselors test patients and their families for the genes that put them at a higher-risk for hereditary cancer syndromes.
- Confirmation of pregnancy
- Prenatal and follow-up care of routine pregnancy through delivery and postpartum visits
Labor and delivery is handled by our UHealth physicians at Jackson Memorial Hospital and at Mount Sinai Medical Center.
Our physicians provide specialized care of high-risk pregnancy patients. These are women with diabetes, high blood pressure, cardiac disease, lupus, infectious diseases, recurrent pregnancy losses, multiple pregnancies, advanced maternal age and other medical conditions. High-risk pregnancies also include those in which a problem has been identified in the fetus.
Other services provided include prenatal diagnosis including first trimester ultrasound, advanced diagnostic ultrasound, genetic counseling and testing.
High-risk pregnant patients may be seen in consultation, co-managed with their physicians, or be transferred for antenatal care. A maternal-fetal medicine specialist is available for consultation 24/7, 365 days a year – a unique service only found at the University of Miami/Jackson Memorial Hospital.
Some high-risk pregnancies may require antenatal surgery on the fetus or the placenta. The UM/Jackson Fetal Therapy Center, led by physicians on our team, is one of the leading centers in the nation and worldwide for the management of these pregnancies. Conditions that can be treated include twin-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS), other problems with twins, obstruction of the urinary tract, Rh-sensitization and others.
The Division of Diagnostic Ultrasound provides services by a team of maternal-fetal medicine specialist physicians, gynecologists, and dedicated sonographers.
- Using state of the art ultrasound equipment, services include:
- Routine and detailed (Level II) obstetrical ultrasound
- First trimester screening
- Fetal well-being evaluations
- Doppler Studies
- Genetic consultation
- Invasive diagnostic procedures including chorionic villus sampling, amniocentesis
- Gynecologic/gynecologic oncology diagnostic ultrasound
Our urogynecology specialists are highly trained in performing anti-incontinence procedures and minimally invasive pelvic reconstructive surgery, including alternatives to hysterectomy.
We provide management and treatment of:
- Urinary incontinence
- Conditions affecting the pelvis, lower urinary and gastrointestinal tract
- Treatment for uterine and vaginal wall prolapse and pelvic floor dysfunction
- Bowel hernia
- Recurrent urinary tract infections and bladder and urethral pain